Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21, 2011

Dear Family,

I really don't have a whole lot of time to write and read e-mails...  Thanks for sending me DearElders when you do.  I would love to read the forwards that Dad sends me, but they're just too long! 
  
I got all of the stuff that you sent!  Thanks so much for the package :)  Those Rice Krispie treats were delicious.  I ate them all in like 3 days.  It was nice having regular food again for the first time in a couple weeks!  Also those ties were perfect :)  I really like the purple/pink checkered one.  I've worn it twice already.  Thanks! 

So last week was awesome as usual.  My favorite part of the whole week was the Devotional that Sister Wixom (The Primary General President) gave last Tuesday.  She related her experience in the primary to missionary work and we sang a couple of children's primary songs.  She changed the words of I Hope They Call Me on a Mission to:  "I'm glad they called me on a mission, now that I've grown a foot or two.  I'm glad that now I can be ready to teach and preach and work as missionaries do!"  It was just such a great talk.  She is such an amazing person.  I got to sit on the front row for it because we always go for the seats that open up after all of the Senior couples are seated!  I'm so grateful for all of the wonderful blessings that I get for being in the MTC. 

Starting on the 22nd, all of the new mission presidents will be here getting trained on how to fulfill their callings and everything.  The First Presidency apparently will be here along with a lot of the Apostles all throughout the week.  There are going to be 3 devotionals this week instead of just one, so I'm hoping that we get to hear from one of them!  I'm sure that whoever gives them though will be great.  It's just so cool to think about all of those church leaders being in the same general area as me I guess..  Haha

I went to the consulate like 3 or 4 weeks ago in Salt Lake to sign the papers for my Visa, which I'm pretty sure means that I'm set to go.  I will be getting my travel plans sometime next week and by then I'll know for sure whether or not I have my Visa.  I am so close and yet so far from being done in the MTC.  It's great, but I couldn't possibly stand being here any longer than 9 weeks.  I feel bad for Bryce and his 12-week language course.  I'm just ready to go out there and learn from my trainer and my own experience.  I'm not sure if I'll leave on the 12th.  It's possible, but usually people leave on Monday from what I've seen, so it could be more like the 11th, which isn't much of a difference, so whatever.  It all just depends on the travel plans that work best for you.  I'll probably fly out with 4 Elders from my district and some other people that I met at the consulate, but I'll let you know when I get my plans most likely two weeks from now.

Yesterday I set a goal that I basically achieved..  I wanted to go the entire day without saying a word in English.  It was hard, but I know that it helped me that night when I taught my "investigator" completely in Spanish.  The progressing investigators that we teach are actually our teachers and he made us feel pretty great last night after when he told us that he felt the spirit really strongly in our lesson.  We just felt that our investigator didn't know the importance of the book of mormon, so we made up an entire lesson just based on that one need, since it's a pretty important thing to know if you're gonna believe in the Gospel.  It's just really cool seeing the progress of people that you teach, even if they aren't actually real investigators.  I hear that the people that volunteer in the TRC to be investigators really love the experience of being taught themselves, not just as the investigator.  It's hard, but definitely uplifting. 

I'll definitely read that chapter in Matthew.  It sounds like you're quite the awesome teacher.  I'm sad I don't get to sit in on your classes anymore! 

I've been kinda putting off taking pictures, since I know that I have a lot of time before I leave, but I'll definitely do that.  Too bad I'm getting a haircut today, so I'll probably look like a convict in them, but at least you'll have them.  I might have to wait until I get into the field to send you pictures, but we'll see.  It sounds like you guys are doing awesome...  I miss you and love you and hope you are having an awesome summer.. 

Love you guys!  Have another great week :)

Love, 
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment