Monday, September 12, 2011

September 5, 2011

September 5, 2011

Dear Family,

This week we were told that we need to start using only dignified language as missionaries, so they gave us a couple of examples of the words that we can't use:  cool, guys, and even awesome.  So sorry, but I guess I won't be saying that anymore.  It was another MIRACULOUS week.  

There are just a few other rules that I forgot to tell you about in our mission that I think you'll like to hear about...  We have to have a part in our hair, we can't wear pink and purple ties, and that the mission ends where the sand begins.  There are so many different rules, especially with our mission president now from what I hear, but I know that they are all there for a reason.  It say in D&C 130:20-21 that obedience is the first law in heaven and when we receive a blessing, it is based upon our obedience to that law in which it is predicated, so how wonderful it is to be able to have the opportunity to receive so many more blessings!  Our goal for the end of the year as a mission is 900 baptisms and I know that as long as we are being 100% obedient we will always receive the blessings that the Lord promises us.  If we sustain the president, then we sustain the goal too.  

This week we had a Zone Conference, and since it was the first of the month, we we able to set up the zone goal for the month all together.  When the Zone Leaders started to teach, they were talking about a lot of things in regard to previous months and how many each Zone needs statistically, but in the end we ended up sharing our companionship goals and we added the numbers to see how many it would be if we all reached our goals.  The number was huge for our mission, but when we set the goal we all felt the power of the spirit testifying to us that we could make it.  Obviously after setting a big goal like that, Satan is going to try his hardest to get us to believe it can't happen, but I know that right now we're just in a trial of our faith before the goal is actually reached.  We are all praying hard and the miracles are already starting to happen.  I don't really know what the whole point of telling you about that was, but I just know that in situations like that where we know that something is coming from God and we choose to sustain it, we are sustaining God and covenanting to do all we can to help that thing magnify.  Whether it is a goal or an answer to prayer or even a leader being called to help out the ward, when we are sustaining something that comes from the spirit, we are sustaining God.  We must act upon those promptings that we feel if we expect anything to happen.  

I really love that concept of staying as far away from the edge as possible because that is exactly what we should always be doing.  There's a story in the miracle of forgiveness about 3 people applying for a job as a driver for a delivery company and the first two talk all about how close they can get without falling off, trying to impress the employer.  The third one just tells him that he'll try to stay as far away from the edge as possible, and we don't need to argue about which one should have gotten the job.  It really all comes down to not developing those horrible predatory patterns that come from singling off and dating exclusively.  When it comes down to it, you just never play footsie with the adversary.  If you flirt with temptation you are going to fall in love sooner or later, regardless of how strong you think you are.  The devil's done his work before, don't think he can't convince someone get on the slippery slope.

My Spanish is alright honestly.  I feel at times like it should be better, but I know that it will come.  I just can't compare myself to anybody and I should just be speaking it more often to be completely honest.  It's stressful, but I still know as always that this trial of my faith only exists to help me to grow.  A lot of times whenever i feel really down about something I just tell myself, "Wow, God must really be planning on something big."  Although I have my own personal troubles, I know that the reason I am afflicted is not to give me a reason to wallow in self-pity.  

I heard Hannah is going to sing Pie Jesu on Sunday!  That is so exciting and I know it will be wonderful.  I'm brought to tears every time that I hear that song.  If you can, you should record it and send it to me!  I would love to hear her sing or hear your voices.  If you can, you should just make a CD of Hannah singing or the family singing or something to send to me sometime soon or for my birthday or Christmas or whenever works best for you.  I can listen to CD's of pretty much any type, they just have to be spiritually uplifting...  

I love you all so much and I hope you have another spectacular week.  As always, I hope I didn't forget anything important to mention in this e-mail.  No one can fill in for you, Mom.

Love,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment