Sunday, October 13, 2013

October 7, 2013

Mi querida familia,

It's been an amazing week!  I can't believe that General Conference has come and gone just like that!  I felt bad for not inviting other people back at home to watch it and have questions and do everything that blesses me so much during and after conference.  It amazes me so much that no matter what it is that is weighing on your mind, as you watch general conference, your questions are answered..  Well I'm not sure about yours I guess, but it's always been that way for me, so I don't know why it would be any different for anyone else!  It's hard to say which talk was my favorite because they were all so good!  I loved the talk that Elder Holland gave and his testimony of the restoration and also Elder Bednar's boldness in declaring repentance.  Haha I don't know why, that line just stood out to me more than any other.  For those of you that are not currently paying a full tithe, I invite you to repent.  Maybe it just made me think about the fact that it's not always what we're doing that's not right, rather what we're not doing.

Elder Holland's testimony of the love that God has for us no matter what meant a lot too.  Elder Uchtdorf's talks were both really good and same with Elder Oaks.  I think Elder Nelson's going to be the next prophet.  Everyone's always talking about how there's a reason he's so missionary-minded.  Probably the best part about conference though was the number of times I felt within me that this church really is true and that those men and women are inspired and called of God.  Hearing Myles' reaction to it all was priceless.  

We invited a lot of people and a couple that we talked to just the other night came.  Their names are Maria and Christian.  She's a member that was baptized 7 years ago and hasn't been to church in a while, but they just moved here from Texas, so we went over to see them and they were happy to come to conference.  They came in a little late and left a little bit early, so we didn't get to talk to them, but they met the Bishop and a few of the members.  We saw Carlos and Yovana this week and they're going through a rough time, but they were still happy to let us in and talk..  I don't really know what to do with them because it doesn't feel like they're really serious about moving forward right now..  We're just going to keep trying as long as they're still ok with us stopping by.  

Parris Island is probably the best place in the whole world to do missionary work.  We only get to see them two times a week, but what we say really sticks with them and they almost always fulfill their commitments because it's the only nice thing somebody says to them all week long.  They are all so awesome because they're forced to be humble, dependent, and live the word of wisdom and the law of chastity.  There is no denying that they come out better people not only because of their discipline physically, but also spiritually and mentally.  They come to church seeking strength and they discover the best thing they could ever imagine to help them.  I don't really know how I could explain it simpler, they just want the Atonement.  

Recruit Wolferz got up in fast and testimony meeting yesterday (we got to take the sacrament on conference weekend :)) and bore testimony that there are a lot of churches out there that can take the nail out, but this is the only one that can completely heal our spiritual wounds.  Who told him that?!?  Haha they're all just so amazing.  We've been emphasizing a LOT lately the importance of remembering what being in Boot Camp does to you because what is the point in changing for the better if you're just going to go back to exactly the same way you were before.  I was touched by the general authority that told us what we've done is not important.  It's what we are willing to do and where we are going that matters to the Lord.  "No man, having put his hand to the plough, and  looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

I'm so happy to be here in South Carolina!  It's the most beautiful place in the entire world.  Elder Wright and I are blessed to have the chance to set up the Spanish work here to move the work of the Lord forward.  One of the questions I asked before conference was, "How can I help in hastening the work and when will things pick up?"  I was answered directly that the time of the hastening of the work is NOW and in order to be a part of it requires humility, obedience and hearkening to the voice of the spirit.  

Keep up the good work in Colorado :)  I feel like the Lord put you in that neighborhood when he did because he knew you were ready to bless the lives of all of those people and introduce them to the restored gospel.  I continue to pray for you!  

Love,

Elder Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment