Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17, 2013

Dear Family:

Elder Phelps is a great missionary.  He is from Layton, UT, and he has been out for about 21 months.  I'm probably going to be sending him home from Beaufort in the next few months, unless President Cottle decides to switch things up when the mission changes in July.  Who knows?  I could be on the other end of Georgia in three weeks.  

I LOVE the tie that you sent!  Sorry I didn't say anything more about it.  I had to come up with a more creative way of tying it because it's really thin, but I get a lot of compliments, especially from other missionaries about it!  Thank you so much for sending it!!  

This weekend we got to go out to these migrant worker camps on St. Helena Island.  It was a lot of fun and kind of a breath of fresh air away from all of the English work I've been doing for the past several weeks.  I can safely say that I feel more comfortable teaching the gospel in Spanish.  At least as a missionary.  I talked to a man from Mexico named Max all about the life that these people live and it's amazing.  They all are permitted to come to the US for several months to work on these plantations (basically) and pick vegetables or do other similar jobs.  They are paid according to the amount of food they end up picking.  Max told me there are days he makes up to 200 dollars and more a day!  They live in either trailers or basically shack-style apartment buildings for a couple months and then move on to the next place or go back to their country.  Seems like a pretty good deal, but the downside is pretty much no transportation and the living conditions.  We talked to a lot of people yesterday and invited them to learn more about the restoration.  There were several people that showed a lot of promise and we'll be heading back there this weekend to go and see them!  It feels like we are in Mexico when we are at those camps.  I don't think there was a single white person there other than Elder Phelps and I.

Things at Parris Island are good.  Nobody's set to get baptized for now, but we're working with all of them.  It's hard to teach to their needs because, from what we found out yesterday, everybody is there for a different reason!  I think that I'll be going to Recruit Thompson and Recruit Campbell's graduation because they invited us, but we'll see what President Barry says.  It's two Wednesdays from now.  

We just got Sister missionaries in the ward and every companionship was affected by the transfer.  Our district is a lot of fun and I'm excited to be a part of it.  I don't know if you remember me talking about Elder Eklof, but he's serving in Hilton Head now!  We will be heading down to Hilton Head today to go have some P Day fun :)  

I love you!  Have a good week :)

Love,

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment